3.6.09

One of The 8th Wonders of The World








The spring semester ended back in May so I got to have a few weeks off from my evening Reference gig. The first of two summer semesters started last week so I am back on the grind.
At my day job, we have an internal website where short articles are posted. These stories range from information about our investment products, to various charitable efforts our "associates" perform, to events that "associates" have attended and lots of stuff in between. One one of these articles last year was about a celebrity sighting in our building's lobby. A couple of the facilities guys happened to see and meet Steven Tyler from Aerosmith. I think it was said that his lawyer is in our building. I am not really impressed by celebrity sightings, but was extremely impressed with one of the quotes in the article regarding the interaction. This associate said that, "it was like seeing one of the 8th wonders of the world." I love everything about this quote. I am a huge fan of mixed metaphors, and while this isn't technically a mixed metaphor, it is deliciously flawed.

In a related note, last week I watched the A&E Biography of Andre the Giant. Andre was very popular when I was growing up and I never realized what a tragic figure he is. He knew that his gigantism would shorten his life so he left his small town in France so that he could wrestle as a way to see the world before his premature death. He was and will continue to be my favorite giant (take that Gheorge Muresan!).


Another thing I love is cigars. Now that the warm weather is here I like to go out in my backyard with a smoke, a drink, and my three dogs. It offers me a time to reflect on my day and my surroundings. It also gives me the chance to watch my dogs chase moths. I've seen seen that screen saver where the pug licks the screen. I think someone should create one of dogs chasing moths. It is captivating. When I decided that I'd start a blog I had envisioned doing reviews of different cigars and whiskeys that I try and regularly enjoy. I don't think I have the discipline to conduct a thorough review of a product (as evidenced by my rambling prose). Instead I am just going to mention things that I have recently had and whether I like them or not. I read both cigar reviews and whiskey reviews online and I enjoy and appreciate the time and commitment they make. Therefore, I don't feel I have that much more to add to the culture other than to say that this is what I smoked or drank and whether or not I'd buy it again. If people want to know more then they can go ahead and ask.


Smoked: Tatuaje "pork chop"


Buy again: absolutely


1 comment: